Christian Clout Chaser's


“Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” Luke 18:10-14

I love this story in the Bible because it shows the current state in our Christian community, where it's easier in a social media, internet and technological society to be an attention seeker. I'm not here to judge or condemn but to hold myself and my fellow Christians accountable, because I myself was very extremist Pharisee. 

We're here to glorify God not ourselves, we are here to save souls not to do a numbers game on how many souls we bring to Jesus. I've noticed this a lot as I said myself I was like this, too many of us are searching for clout, attention. If it's not "celebrity pastors" rubbing hands with celebrities and looking to get 15 minutes of fame it's Christians filming ourselves praying, seeking or being in church. I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with being apologetic about your faith and spreading the gospel like jam on toast. But there's a time to be discreet and there's a time be in open spaces and sharing our faith as Ecclesiastes 3:1-22 says. And the reason why I listed the above things as attention seeking because these are all our devotions to God, our personal and intimate times with God. Why are we sharing this with the world or broadcasting it? You wouldn't post yourself in the toilet or put your bank front and back details on the net, so why our intimate time with God? This is why Jesus never rated and constantly rebuked the Pharisees because everything was for show and clout and we cannot do this!

To conclude my blog you could say this is objective or down to opinion. But in reality God wants humble, modest and mature Christians to represent Him, God doesn't want the cool Christian that's down with the people or the famous Minister who hangs and parties with celebrities. God want's Christians that will do things for His honour and glory. When we do Christian things for our gain, to go viral on social media or have some sort of status to feed our big and weak ego's, we will never be effective in our walk, the reasons why the Pharisees weren't effective in their walk because they were too extreme and did things for their glory. We all know and have that extremist Christian who moves like they did and we stay far away from them. We cannot save souls when we are extremists and do things to seek attention because we look like fanatics and that would be undoing the work of God as people would be reluctant not to come to God, like I was when I was fresh in my faith I was judgemental and very Pharisee like I was losing friends and the respect of my family and it dampened my faith. This can't be happening to any of us as Christianity is about being Christ like not attention seek like.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Church Hurt

Spiritual Priorities

The Spirit Of Disobedience